All in One SEO Pack is the most downloaded WordPress plugin ever. It is one of my 8 plugins list I install with every new WordPress blog. It has more than 3,000,000 all time downloads.
In this WordPress plugin tutorial I’ll show a simple way to make the best of All in One SEO Pack WordPress Plugin.
It is all about Excerpts
Excerpts are hand-crafted summaries of your content that usually used as teasers for your posts.
Following key principles of SEO in writing posts might bring you to first page of Google, lets see what makes people choose to click your blog and not the other.
In the following image you can see how one of my previous posts, Blog Beginner – Do’s and Don’ts in Your First Month Blogging, appears in Google. If you open the post you can see it starts with the words “We all remember our first month blogging”, while Google present this teaser (“In this article…”) as a description for my post.
Lets see how I made Google show that teaser in the description.
After you install All in One SEO plugin, basically there is no need for further configuration to make it do its thing, which is good but we can do better.
Open one of your posts in ‘Edit Mode’ and scroll down to the All in One SEO section.
In this section there are three input fields.
- The Title, where I always copy my post title.
- The Keywords, where I enter relevant keywords.
- The Description, where I enter the excerpt/teaser I’d like people to see in search result pages.
The SEO plugin takes the data we provide him and pass it to search engines when they crawl to index our blogs.
The beauty is that I can change that data whenever I like. Let’s say a week after you published your post you wish you had a better teaser. Don’t wish just change the description and Google will show your new teaser.
All in One SEO Pack is a great plugin. It provides many important capabilities to help us in the SEO race to Google first page, but I guess most bloggers don’t take any action besides installing it.
Lets take the best of All in one plugin and get a little advantage over other bloggers.
- 8 Plugins I install with every new WordPress Blog
- WP Tutorial – 5 Settings I adjust with every new WordPress Blog
- AddThis WordPress: AddThis Button Customization – On AddThis WordPress Plugin & Blogger Addon
- How to Change Avatar in new Twitter – Change Avatar
- How to install Feedsmith plugin with WordPress 2.8