How to change Avatar in new Twitter. People identify each other on Twitter by their Avatars. Avatars play role in building reputation and trust with Twitter followers. Changing your Avatar might confuse followers, and if not done carefully might even make you lose many followers.
I recently read a great post by Diana Adams about her experience of changing her Avatar. She immediately got many tweets and direct messages from her followers who were not happy with the change. Followers messages said things like “Oh, I don’t like this, now it’s strange to talk to you” or “Now I can’t find your tweets in my steam”.
After several hours Diana decided to put her original picture back. Her conclusion from this experience was “Think twice before change your twitter avatar and tampering with your own brand loyalty”.
Nevertheless sometimes there is a need for new Avatar. Here are my proposals for handling the process and not lose twitter followers.
Get new Avatar and Keep Twitter Followers
Notify your Twitter followers in advance
- Twitter users, tweet several messages to your followers. inform them about the change and provide a link to a page with both Avatars.
- Own a blog, put both Avatars together in “About Me” page.
- Dedicate a blog post. Introduce the new Avatar. Explain your readers why you decide to change Avatar.
Share followers in selecting the new Avatar
When companies change their Brand they use focus group to get their customer’s feedback. Your Avatar is your Brand and followers are both your customers and focus group.
- Create a poll and provide several Avatar options. Ask your followers to select their favorite Avatar.
- Provide an additional input field. Encourage your followers to leave concrete feedback and explain why they favor one Avatar more than others.
Changing your Avatar isn’t just a simple switch process. I hope you find my tips useful.
Your feedback is welcome.